Sunday, August 29, 2010

Bullying

I have to say this, because it's on my heart to do so.  I was bullied as a child. 
I have never forgotten how it made me feel.  My children have been bullied in school and outside of it. 
It makes me sick!

There is only so much a school system can do.  There is only so much a parent can do to defend their child as well.  This needs to change!  And, It NEEDS TO STOP! 

I've seen the studies and statistics.  So many reasons are listed, as to why this happens. 

Here are a few:

Kids bully because their home life isn't all that great....
Kids bully to make themselves feel better...
Kids bully because they want to look cool in front of their peers. 

Kids bully because they can.
Then why do adults still do it?

It makes you wonder if people's brains were warped and never developed the concepts of giving a crap about someone other than themselves.  It's sad, really.

The thing is... not only does it hurt the child that is being bullied, but it pisses the parent of that, "said child", off- pretty bad.  And, the parent feels helpless to help their child.  That should never have to be the case.

I will fight against bullying as long as I live... I have ZERO tolerance for it myself.

It is my opinion that strong rules should be layed out to stop the, ABUSE! 
And, that is exactly what it is, ABUSE!
Bullying, in any form, is abuse.  Whether the person receiving it is a child, and adult, or elderly individual.

Some parents would say, "I'm not helpless, I'll just take it into my own hands."  That's when the added trouble can come along.

I say, find a way to talk to your schools, and have CLEAR and concise punishments for bullying... not just handbooks that say ZERO TOLERANCE, and a case by case scenerio for punishment.

If they have zero tolerance, but the person that's doing all the bullying is getting away with it, or doesn't believe they will suffer serious consequences, then someone is not doing their job!
Although, I'm certain some may be accused of bullying, by the bully, to protect themselves... so this could pose an issue too!

I for one, will not stand up for it.  The lasting effects of maltreatement can go on for years after it has stopped, even into their adult-hood.  And, if you think some parents don't bully their children... you are wrong! 

I am asking every parent to do something today. 
Talk to your children!
Believe them when they say someone is saying, or doing something to them that makes them uncomfortable... and do SOMETHING to stop it, before it goes farther. 

Talk to your schools!  Don't let your kids wander off down the street without you.  Keep tabs on them and their friends.  Join their social circles...quietly if you may... on facebook, myspace, etc. 

KNOW WHAT'S HAPPENING with YOUR CHILD at all times!

It's time we all come together and help our children. They are, after all, the one's who will decide whether or not to put us in a nursing home when we get old!

Don't you think your children deserve to not be harrassed and bullied?  I certainly do!

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
I am a published author, a mother, a wife, and employee, and a little bit silly, from time to time!